TRiO is a federally-funded academic success program that makes a difference in the lives of students. At UW-Waukesha, we aim to help highly motivated students meet their educational goals. We partner with students by offering personalized advising and a wide range of academic resources. Nationwide, TRiO students are more than twice as likely to attain their degrees as their non-TRiO counterparts.
Benefits of TRiO
- Personalized advising and educational planning
- Study skills workshops, individual and group tutoring sessions
- Free developmental coursework (MAT 097) and academic support courses
- Academic, financial, career and personal counseling
- Assistance in obtaining financial aid (FAFSA)
- A supportive learning environment
- Assistance in securing admission and financial assistance for enrollment in baccalaureate programs
- Access to technology and reference materials
- Exposure to cultural/educational events
Students attending UW-Waukesha may be eligible for participation in the TRiO program if they meet any of the following guidelines:
- First-generation college student (neither parent graduated from a four-year college/university)
- Eligible for the PELL grant
- Documented learning or physical disability
If you aren't sure if you meet any of these criteria, call (262)521-5475 to make an appointment. One of our advisors will help determine your eligibility.
If you are eligible, please complete and mail in the application. An advisor will call to schedule an intake appointment with you that will last approximately 30 minutes. The advisor will help you complete paperwork and discuss how TRiO can partner with you on your journey to earning a four-year degree.
Joining the TRiO program is voluntary. However, not all eligible students can become members of the TRiO program. Due to the limited number of spaces available, admission is selective.
ATTN: TRiO Student Support Services
1500 N. University Drive
Waukesha, WI 53188
Individual assistance is available through one-on-one appointments with TRiO staff for mathematics, writing, study skills and academic advising, on a weekly basis if needed.
TRiO Associate Director
TRiO Academic Advisor
TRiO Math Specialist
"Being a first-generation college student, the TRiO program was invaluable to me during my time at UW-Waukesha. I am thankful that I was given the opportunity to benefit from the resources that TRiO offers, and I would recommend joining to any student that is eligible for the program. The advisors Schelzia and Heidi truly care about their students, and ensure that they do whatever they can to help them succeed in achieving their academic goals. I am now going into my final semester at UW-Milwaukee, and I can honestly say that I would not be the student that I am today without the help of the TRiO program."
- Brandon Marchan, UW-Waukesha TRiO Graduate
“If you have the opportunity to join TRiO, you should definitely do it. They have great advisors, they will help you with all situations and they are always there for you. I cannot thank my advisors enough! It is a lot of fun and I get to meet new people. It is awesome!”
Annahi Rocha, Sophomore TRiO Student
“I decided to apply for TRiO because I knew in order to succeed I needed more academic support than I was getting. I cannot wait to see what I am capable of doing and I am super excited!"
Molly Heistand, Sophomore TRiO Student
Connect with Us
TRiO Student Support Services