The University of Wisconsin-Waukesha’s Field Station is celebrating their 50th Anniversary on Saturday, September 30 with free admission to a day of guided tours, displays and fun activities. Located on Waterville Road near Oconomowoc, the picturesque 98-acre site includes the original farmstead, a Wildlife in Need Center, classroom building and wood-fired kiln. Nine-foot tall prairie grasses and 50-foot pine trees - along with a small lake and spring-fed stream, make it the perfect setting for enjoying and learning more about nature.
The Field Station address is W349 S1480 S. Waterville Rd, Oconomowoc, with anniversary activities taking place from 10am to 4pm. A display of the photography contest winners as well as raffle and sale items will also be available. Food and beverages will be available for purchase.
Face painting and a scavenger hunt are just a few of the children’s activities planned. There is also an opportunity to meet and interact with animal ambassadors at the Wildlife in Need Center, including owls, turtles, snakes and more. UW-Waukesha faculty will be leading many of the scheduled tours and activities, which include:
- 10:15am – Welcome (Classroom building)
- 10:30am-11:25am – Field Station History (Classroom building)
- 11:30am-12:25pm – Geology Tour (Meet at farmhouse)
- 11:30am-1pm – Prairie seed picking (Prairie)
- 11:30am-1:30pm – Wildlife in Need Center – meet & greet (WINC classroom building)
- 1pm-1:55pm – Barn and building tour (Barn)
- 2pm-2:55pm – Prairie tour (Meet at farmhouse)
- 2pm-4pm – Buckthorn Cutting (Field station driveway)
- 3pm-3:50pm – Microbiology Tour (Meet at farmhouse)
For complete information about the September 30 anniversary event, visit http://waukesha.uwc.edu/campus/resources/facilities/field-station.
UW-Waukesha offers freshman and sophomore level classes in over 250 majors and is part of the University of Wisconsin System. The strength of the campus is the priority given to teaching, where professors teach small classes and get to know students by name. For more information about the campus, visit waukesha.uwc.edu or phone the Student Services Solution Center at 262-521-5041.